There is probably no need for us to dig and repeat on who is Mat Taib or Muhammad Muhammad Taib a.k.a. Mike Tyson. He is the former Selangor Chief Minister who was exposed of bringing money worth RM3.8 million to Australia. Considering that UMNO is unlike PAS where they often pretend as if they did not see anything whenever their leaders slip up, so on April 1997, Mat Taib was ordered to resign.
Prior to that, Mat Taib has been causing problem to UMNO for getting married in Thailand, with Tengku Puteri Zaharia, the princess of Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah. Thus, his resignation on the case is a huge ‘relief’ to UMNO.
However, he then came back interrupting UMNO in 2006 when Tun Abdullah Badawi appointed Mat Taib to the National Assembly. The appointment however, only lasted for a while because as soon as Dato’ Seri Najib took over the government, Mat Taib’s service in the National Assembly was put to stop.
What happened proves how top leadership really want to clean the party from those who are problematic and could not perform well. In other words, those who do not contribute, instead, they cause more problems to the party.
Today, UMNO being ‘cold’ towards Mat Taib has proven to be logical.
Mat Taib clearly do not deserve to sit in this party when he decided to jump off from the party only because his son-in-law, UMNO Youth Chief of Kelana Jaya Branch, Ahmad Affandi Hamzah, was not nominated as candidate in DUN Seri Setia.
This shows that Mat Taib could not accept his ‘fall’ and still hopes for ‘persuasion’ from leadership by ‘defending’ his family. Mat Taib might have forgotten that election is not about him, it is about religion, race and the country.
As a politician, obviously Mat Taib cannot admit that his decision to join PAS is because his in-law was not listed as candidate. Instead, Mat Taib gave the excuse that some TV hosts in Malaysia are not wearing any veil, showing that the government is not Islamic enough. And from there, he chooses PAS because PAS focuses on matters regarding veil, so PAS is much more Islamic to be compared to UMNO.
Our message, Mat Taib do not have to give any ‘religious’ excuses as he join PAS because PAS is the very party which uses the name of Islam in this country up to the point where they change everything that is haram to halal, clear evidence are denied, every mistake is covered, as long as they gain political benefit.
We have accepted the fact that Mat Taib is not that great, but no one has ever thought that he is just as good as Bob Lokman or Abby Abadi who thought that PAS is Islam and Islam is PAS.
Does Mat Taib think that after every women wore veil, so every adultery cases, scandals and misconduct done by anyone including leaders will automatically be halal? Why did Mustafa Ali chose a women not wearing any veil to be his ‘friend’ in bed? Perhaps if the woman was wearing veil, their case would be halal? Or it is already halal, because it involves a PAS leader?
Whatever it is, it is up to Mat Taib to justify himself over his move to PAS.
For Mat Taib’s attention, it is a celebrated moment, just as same as the departure of Kadir Sheikh Fadzir who is also known to be corrupt and dirty, even if he did meet with rakyat a lot, he never really fulfil his promises.
People like them do not deserve to be in UMNO, they only deserve to be in PAS, PKR or DAP. Thank you, Mat Taib, for leaving UMNO.
Muhammad Muhammad Taib
During the trial at the Brisbane District Court in August 1997, Muhammad Muhammad Taib admitted that he bought several properties worth more than RM17 million in Australia and New Zealand under the name of his wife, Asbi Rohani Asnan. However, he was cleared of currency irregularities, after pleading that he did not understand English and therefore did not understand the currency regulations.
Tan Sri Muhammad Muhammad Taib (born 1945, age 67, fondly known as Mat Taib, was a former Menteri Besar of Selangor (1986-1997) and Rural and Regional Development Minister.
2. Brief biography: Born in Kuala Kalumpang, Hulu Selangor, Muhammad Muhammad Taib began his career as a teacher at SMK Kuala Kubu Baru, after graduating from Universiti Malaya. He joined UMNO in 1964, and in the 1982 general elections, he was elected state assemblyman for Batang Kali in Selangor, holding the seat for 4 terms until 1999.
In 1986, Muhammad Muhammad Taib was appointed Menteri Besar of Selangor (1986-1997. The following year, he eloped with Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah’s daughter, Tengku Puteri Zaharia Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah, to Thailand where they reportedly got married against the Sultan’s wish. (They have since divorced.) Muhammad was forced to resign as Selangor Mentri Besar in April 1997, after he was charged in Australia over currency irregularities amounting to RM3.8 million. Notwithstanding, he rose to the position of UMNO vice-president in 2004.
In 2006, Muhammad Muhammad Taib was appointed as a Senator in the Dewan Negara. This allowed him to be appointed as Rural and Regional Development Minister by then Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi in March 2008. His stint in the Cabinet, however, ended after a reshuffling by new Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak in April 2009. In October that year, Muhammad contested the post of UMNO deputy president, but was defeated by Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
3. Currency irregularities in Australa: Muhammad Muhammad Taib was charged in Australia of making a false declaration for carrying an equivalent of RM2.4 million in various currencies in December 1996 and knowingly ignoring conditions in a statutory declaration by declaring only assets worth RM10.82 million and AUD3.46 million. During the trial at the Brisbane District Court, Muhammad admitted that he bought several properties worth more than RM17 million in Australia and New Zealand under the name of his wife, Asbi Rohani Asnan. However, he was cleared by the Australian court, after he pleaded that he did not understand English and therefore did not understand the currency regulations. The Anti-Corruption Agency (ACA) also ‘investigated’ and cleared him of any wrongdoing. (In a later development, an Australian investigative committee found that the court had erred in its judgment.
Chronology:Muhammad Muhammad Taib
- 1945, July 29: Muhammad Taib was born in Kampung Sungai Manggis, Kuala Kalumpang, Hulu Selangor, Selangor.
- Muhammad Taib graduated from Universiti Malaya.
- Muhammad Taib taught at SMK Kuala Kubu Baru.
- 1964 (age 19): Muhammad Taib joined UMNO.
- 1982 (age 37): Muhammad Taib was elected state assemblyman for Batang Kali (1982-1999), holding the seat for 4 terms.
- 1986 (age 41): Muhammad Taib was appointed Menteri Besar of Selangor (1986-1997).
- 1987, July 17 (age 42): Muhammad Taib eloped with Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah’s daughter, Tengku Puteri Zaharia Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah, to Thailand where they reportedly got married against the Sultan’s wish. (They have since divorced.)
- 1997 (age 52):
- April: Muhammad Taib was forced to resign as Selangor Mentri Besar, after he was charged in Australia over currency irregularities amounting to RM3.8 million.
- August: Muhammad Taib was cleared by the Brisbane District Court, after he pleaded that he did not understand English and therefore did not understand the currency regulations. Nevertheless, in a later development, an investigative committee found that the court had erred in its judgment.
- 2004 (age 59): Muhammad Taib was elected UMNO Vice-President and Selangor UMNO deputy state liaison committee chief.
- 2006 (age 61): Muhammad Taib was appointed as a Senator (2006-2009) in the Dewan Negara.
- 2008, March (age 63):
- Muhammad Taib was appointed Rural and Regional Development Minister (2008-2009) by Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.
- Muhammad Taib was appointed UMNO Information Chief (2008-2009).
- 2009 (age 64):
- April: Muhammad Taib was dropped from the Cabinet, after a reshuffling by new Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
- June 7: Muhammad Taib was conferred the Panglima Setia Mahkota (PSM) which carries the title “Tan Sri”.
- October 15-16: Muhammad Taib contested the post of UMNO deputy president but was defeated by Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
- 2013, April 22 (age 68): Muhammad Taib joined Parti Islam Se-Malaysia (PAS).