He told Malay daily Utusan Malaysia that he has no qualms over the Johor ruler’s action, although the bidding was completed at an exorbitant price.
He explained that the purchase will indirectly benefit the people because it is contributing to the national coffers.
“In fact, my view is different (from former Perak menteri besar) Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin.
“To me, there is no problem with it (the bidding) because the revenue from the bidding will definitely return to the people,” Harun was quoted as saying.
The Johor ruler had submitted the top bid of RM520,000 to acquire the much sought-after ‘WWW1′ number-plate last month, breaking the record set by ‘MCA 1′ that was sold for RM300,100 in 2010.
There was widespread criticism of the bid in cyberspace, with one of the strongest comments coming from Nizar.
He said the money could have been spent to help the many poor Malays in Johor and used to build 20 houses for the hardcore poor.
Following protests from Umno, Malay NGOs and a dressing down from the ruler, Nizar offered an apology and sought an audience with the Johor sultan to explain his controversial remark, claiming that his tweet had beenmisrepresented by the mainstream media, in particular the Umno-owned daily Utusan Malaysia.
He is also being investigated by the police under the Sedition Act. The police hadraided his three offices in Perak on Monday and seized his mobile telephone and laptop computer.